Subject: [Leica] IMG: From the Cigar Box- AEDC Open House 1986
From: jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Mon Sep 17 14:23:43 2007

LUGGERS, Especially Hoppy,

Almost all of my working years were spent on military installations where
personal cameras were not allowed, for security reasons.  In 1986, the
Arnold Engineering Development Center held an Open House for employees,
families and neighbors to tour certain areas where displays of interest were
set up.  On this occasion, cameras were allowed.

I made a number of photos of interest to myself, and a few that might
interest others.  I particularly thought of Hoppy, the old armorer, when I
came across the ones shown here.

For many years, two of the most prevalent test types involved investigating
military aircraft's ability to perform while carrying external stores of all
types, and their ability to make satisfactory releases of these stores.  The
models depicted here are of the type used in the first type of
investigation, and were designed for testing in the AEDC 16T Transonic Wind
Tunnel, which has a 16 x 16 x 40-foot test section.

I have no direct knowledge of what store combinations were actually tested,
or of those that actually went into service.  These photos just depict all
of the possible combinations provided by the models actually used for the
tests.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Cigar+Box/F-16+with+Stores+1986.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Cigar+Box/FB-111+with+Stores+1986.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Cigar+Box/A-10+with+Stores+1986.jpg.html