Subject: [Leica] IR/UV filter differences
From: grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey@mchsi.com)
Date: Thu Sep 13 18:54:34 2007

George,

I have the Heliopan UV/IR filter on my 28/2.8 Elmarit Asph, my onlly coded
lens, and see no ill effects at all, no cyan creep at the edges, that I can
tell.  I use my 2 free Leica filters on my 50 'cron and 35 'lux (pre-asph)
neither have any coding and do not see any ill effects here either, although
at these focal lengths I don't think it makes any difference.  My 90
Tele-Elmarit uses the Heliopan filter, looks fine.  I think the problems are
with the super wides, and not the 28 and longer lenses.  I know Len has done
a more extensive testing, but my experience with my set of lenses, is all
positive with either the Leica or Heliopan filters.  Cost wise, there is not
a big enough difference to choose one over the other as they are all pretty
pricey, expect $80 - $120 depending on size.

Gene