Subject: [Leica] New Zeiss 18/4 Lens in M Mount
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Sep 13 16:57:21 2007

>I've been waiting for Zeiss to release this new wide angle lens in M
>Mount. At 18mm it should make for a good 24mm on an M8. With no M8
>here I plan to happily use it as an 18mm on my M6.
>
>Zeiss also just released a compact 21/4.5 Biogon in Leica Mount
>which is also interesting.
>
>Zeiss 18/4 Distagon link here: http://www.zeiss.com/zeissikon
>
>Greg J. Lorenzo

Tom A. is to get (may have gotten; I'll ask him tomorrow) the 18/4
from Mr. Kobayashi. I'm sure it'll be a good lens. I only regret that
this is the lens that got put into production, and not the one I saw
at Photokina 3 years ago; that one was the same size as the V/C 21/4.
Zeiss apparently set the rules. I believe the cost is going to be
about $1200US.

Tom also has the 21/4.5. It's extremely good; overall it's a toss-up
between it and the 21 ASPH stop for stop, except it doesn't do well
at f/2.8. It's also nicely compact, which cannot be said of many of
the other Zeiss ZM lenses.

It's larger and very slightly slower than the 21/4 V/C, but it's also
a lot better.

We're awash in great lenses.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff