Subject: [Leica] OT (kind of) Table manners
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Sep 12 21:59:53 2007

This has been a fascinating discussion.  I was
raised in a subset of the Best and the Brightest
but my family never did the country club
thing.  I went through the proper school routine
and the like and I had no idea of this social
norm.  Hell, I waited tables at some decent
restaurants.  And I certainly attended some
high-class caviar-dips at Yale and the
like.   But the social norms I picked up, I
picked up by some sort of osmosis, and I missed this silverware trick.

Years go by, with my head buried in books.  Then
I get married to my late wife, Susan, a victim of
a Cleveland, Ohio, country-club upbringing, and
she starts fussing at me over my failure to put
the silverware at the ten-to-four position when I
was finished.  I was aghast:  trust me, I was a
LOT more attuned to the fineries of social gaffes
than she was, having committed most of them
regularly.  This was before the Internet, so I
checked with a good friend who was then a
Maitre'd at a decent restaurant, and he told me
that I was wrong and that, yes, this WAS the
convention.  Whoops!  Susan was right and I was
wrong.  I did that most horrid thing a man can
ever do, admit I was wrong (apologies to Red Green!).

We all learn.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!