Subject: [Leica] OT (kind of) Table manners
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Wed Sep 12 11:36:26 2007

Hi Daniel,

"You want more at twenty past eight, and you have enough at twenty
past four."
Some say ten past two. Just nitpicking, really.
It's 'common' etiquette here. There are a lot more of these
conventions, too.
The beautiful thing is: they almost all have a good reason. If you
prefer being polite over rude, that is.
In fact it's non verbal signage of respect.

Except for the position of cutlery, though. That was a mere sign to
the butler and his staff to enable them to see (without having to ask
and thus disturbing those at the table) from a distance that the next
course could be served. And a table of 12 persons with their cultery
all in the same directions when finished, it looks nice, too
ofcourse. It were the days before democracy.
But who knows this anymore? It's become obsolete. And completely
inappropriate.
So wherever you want to put it, it's OK.

About the first phrase: visualize the clock and you get the cutlery
positions. Knife ofcourse at the right (unless it's especially put
there for spreading butter on your bread).

That's how they thought it to this only since very recently liberated
(faux-)etiquette junkie. (and very happy about it)
Philippe

Op 12-sep-07, om 06:49 heeft Daniel Ridings het volgende geschreven: