Subject: [Leica] Unsworth w33/now expos comp M8
From: lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth)
Date: Tue Sep 11 23:37:07 2007

Hi Tina

What follows is a non-scientific of how the M8 records RAW files that will
probably appal anyone with an insight into how these things actually work
<grin>

In a normal raw image the bits are assigned in a linear fashion. This means
that if you under expose by a stop half the possible values are lost. With
the M8 the values aren't assigned in a linear value. More of them are
assigned to the shadows than the highlights, so when you underexpose with an
M8 you aren't throwing away as many of the values, so it doesn't have the
same effect as it does with a linear RAW file.

I'm sure someone will correct me if this is incorrect <grin>

Steve

Replies: Reply from leowesson at gmail.com (leo wesson) ([Leica] Unsworth w33/now expos comp M8)