Subject: [Leica] 6 weeks with an M8 in Iran
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Sep 10 20:46:59 2007

> I knew I bought the 24mm for a reason... ;^) I'm also considering the
> WATE, but that's for later <sigh>
>
> Tarek
>
> Le 10 sept. 07 ? 22:07, Steve Unsworth a ?crit :
>
>> I'll do my best to get there.
>>
>> I think you'll enjoy the M8. Just make sure you have filters for your
>> lenses. The 24 Elmarit and 35 Summicron are fantastic with the M8.
>> The 24 in
>> particular.
>>
>> Steve

A 32mm lens.
That's a nice area to be in.

I'm still reading Erwin's book. Its my bedtime book. Its not all that
portable.
And he repeatably plays up the 24 ASPH throughout the book it seems..
Repeatedly puts it above the current 21 ASPH.
Calls it a masterpiece of so on and so forth.
Doesn't speak of other Lenes in quite those glowing terms.

When I use it like I did most of this week a 24 on my nikon DSLRs the edges
being cut of to make it a 36mm lens does it justice.
The quality at the edges are ok but nothing to write home to mom about.
The quality in the center is certainly better. Cutting the edges off feels
nice. Now your using the Meat of the lens. The juicy center. Chopping off
the fat and the gristle.

But when the time comes when I'm using my Leica ASPH 24 on a cropped Leica
digital I'll not be wishing and wanting these edges away.
The edge quality with THAT lens is beyond reproach. You're be kind of sorry
to see them go I should think. When the time comes that a full frame Leica
digital is out there its going to be smiled upon.
We've been waiting patiently a long time.
Here little Leica camera roll over and let me pet you on your tummy.

Mark William Rabiner
rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] 6 weeks with an M8 in Iran)