Subject: [Leica] 6 weeks with an M8 in Iran
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Sep 10 20:16:35 2007

> Mark,
>
> This is a pretty old article, why bring it up now?  Most certainly his
> review
> conclusion is influenced by the loan of the camera.  I don't think anyone
> would not notice this.  Who cares, especially since the camera has been out
> for almost a year and we now have actual results using the camera.
>
> Gene

Well on this list a dozen or less that I know about have made the plunge and
bought it. We here impressive stuff about it from them.
But many wait in the wings. Me for instance.
An article like this can be the straw that breaks the camels back in
influencing many peoples such decisions on the issue.

In other words
Is this a viable PJ camera which continues the Leica tradition...
Or just a toy for millionaires?

An article like does a good job in proving the former.
I know its not the first we've heard of an M8 being in the trenches and
surviving. But this to me is the most pervasive and persuasive..
What makes it all the more credible to me is the part where he has some
minor trouble with it. The meter goes out for a day. And works through it.
This guy is not a paid off guy. They are not going to give it too him
afterward.
The camera just works.
It can be counted on as much as any other.

I'd like to believe the part about the new firmware being a fix to all the
color problems like he says but I sense not quite.

I'm really not convinced that if I had a spare five grand which I don't I'd
want to spend it on an M8 and not a D3.

This article makes me take the m8 much more seriously than I did...
Last week.

When the D3 was introduced. ...or the week before.
Neither week did I have 5 grand in my wallet or in the inside pocket of my
favorite sports jacket.

The D3 by the way for those like myself who hate acronym spouters is the
just introduced Nikon five grand full frame.
Which lights up and says kiss me baby. In French.
Then stays on as you click away.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com