Subject: [Leica] Sigma DP1 a no show.
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Fri Sep 7 09:31:57 2007

2007-09-06-12:04:14 Eric Korenman:
> I adore my M8. But I am not a 'travel photograher'

Um, I'm having trouble understanding this whole thread -- "travel
photographer" or not, if you have that great, not too bulky caamera
you're already familiar with using, you wouldn't travel with a nice
simple setup of the M8 and one lens because... why?

> Just need a 'go anywhere' pocketable to replace what my Yashica T4 used to
> do for me.
> Hell - I might just take my Dad's T4 and film

Okay, if it needs to be that pocketable, and you don't mind travelling
with film -- sure, take the borrowed T4, or if you're in the mood for
shopping, get a nice Olympus Stylus Epic (still available, still under
$80 at B&H, still a fabulous prime lens for the amazingly-low price).
The Stylus Epic was always the heir to the T4's throne in my mind -- the
T4's glass (that was the f/3.5 lens, right?) has classic old-school-lens
sharper-in-the-center characteristics, while the Olympus's newer
aspheric glass is a fraction faster at f/2.8 and sharper into the
corners.  Both pleasing to the eye in their own way.  The Olympus is
compact and sealed well enough to be light-drizzle-resistant.  I recall
it got on particularly spectacularly with Fuji Reala.

But as with any new equipment, test before dragging it on a trip and
counting on it.

 -Jeff

Replies: Reply from faneuil at gmail.com (Eric Korenman) ([Leica] Sigma DP1 a no show.)
Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Sigma DP1 a no show.)