Subject: [Leica] OT embarrassing and stupid action against public photography
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Sep 3 04:04:29 2007

In case it may be of interest. This post is not in any way meant to reflect
any political opinion.

Sydney Australia is very shortly to host APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic
Cooperation) meetings. There are 21 heads of state and numerous
officials as well as presumably an international press contingent. There is
very considerable disruption and inconvenience to Sydney
and fears that some protests may end in violence and destruction. Police
have been granted extraordinary powers which are a matter
of some local controversy.

 This week Police officers required that a party of German tourists delete
from their cameras, pictures taken of the temporary
security fencing that encloses some of the CBD. This is an ugly concrete and
steel mesh 2.8 metre high barrier extending for 5 kms
within the CBD.

Presumably if they had been wielding good German film Leicas, they would
have had the film confiscated. I have a mental image of law
enforcement officers sifting through five or six multi gigabyte memory cards
for each tourist to ensure that no evil images remain.

This same fence of course has been looked at since its construction by
hundreds of thousands of people and featured prominently on
national television and other media. Greater Sydney has more than four
million people.

I can not think of any action more futile or foolish than requiring that
those couple of visitors delete those photographs.

Sorry, visitors, most of us are friendlier than that. My favourite pub to
visit in Sydney is even within the exclusion zone.

Hoppy

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] OT embarrassing and stupid action against public photography)
Reply from leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] OT embarrassing and stupid action against public photography)
Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] OT embarrassing and stupid action against public photography)