Subject: [Leica] Why the sumarit-M lens?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Aug 31 18:32:20 2007

> I ask the other way round: Why not? The new Summarits are smaller and more
> affordable than Summicrons, with just a 2/3 stop slower aperture. I can
> imagine they'll sell quite well. Me for instance could well imagine to buy
> that 50. So the answer to your question might be "Leica making business"...
>
> Didier
>
>> Why the sumarit-M lens?
>> Why, from a day to the other, a new set of lens to the M system?

No now If you want to get a lens with less the the very best glass and
technology you now don't have to go to strangers.

With a Summicron, current you'd get the finist Leica has to offer.
Expensive glasses. High tech lens grinding of any shape it takes to get the
job done so you can shoot wide open with no compunctions. Floating elements
you name it.

With a Summarit you get cut rate glass and all the elements are ground
spherically. You get lens designs which had reached its limits decades ago.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Why the sumarit-M lens?)