Subject: [Leica] Re: Pan F - Pyro First shot (Jeffrey Smith)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Aug 26 13:38:54 2007

> On Aug 25, 2007, at 9:34 AM, Jeffrey Smith (in a fearless attempt to
> address the actual subject in the subject line) wrote:
>
>> Unlike Ilford FP4, Pan F is not a good film for PMK Pyro in that it
>> seems to  be totally resistant to staining (and the stain seems to be
>> what gives the Pyro shots their richness. Gordon Hutchings book lists
>> some of the good and not so good films for PMK Pyro. I have pretty
>> much settled on using only Ilford FP4 and Foma Creative 200 as they
>> both work very well with pyro.
>
> Jeffrey -
>
> Having no experience with this Pyro business I just took the
> recommendation of the chef (lab guy) in this situation where the film
> choice had already been made and the tonal range of the subject was
> pretty much literally off the scale.
> The negs appear to be pretty stained to my inexperienced eye, but I'm
> sure you're right about other films being a better match for this
> murky soup.
>
> Methinks if I'm gonna go down this particular chemical path I oughtta
> get that Hutchings book...
>
> Bob Palmieri

Me I love Pan F and would use it if I had a bunch of it I'm sure they're not
going to make it forever. Like any minute; forget it.
ACROS 100 Neopan Fuji has been my high rez spread of choice in the past
years but I cant recall what the Steve Anchell and his Pyro pals said about
tab grain films in Pyro.
All I know is whenever I see a shot where I go "wow" its a Pyro shot.
Or taken with Linhof Master Technika on 4x5 sheet film.
Or both.

Seriously sheet film it wouldn't matter what it was taken with or on what.

But I just remember the old days looking through the Pop Photo Annuals
mainly printed in Gravure and in the back was the little contact sheets with
the tech information.
I'd page through the main section trying to guess how they were done.
This was the 60's mainly. It was Leica sometimes the new Nikon F, Rolleiflex
shots had an edge but the ones which knocked my socks off were 4x5 often
with the Linhof.
A German Speed Graphic.

OH and I'm not all that sure about how my ACROS images compare to if I shot
with on Pan F. a stop faster but on tab grain cutting edge film technology.
A good chance better imagery is made with the slower traditional film.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com