Subject: [Leica] OT: New iMac question
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Aug 24 11:25:55 2007

> If you run Windows on your Mac, your exposure to viruses is identical to
> what
> you'd have if you were running Windows on a PC.
>
> Viruses on Macs are not impossible. The reasons why there have been so few
> of
> them are not absolute, and could change.
>
> The fundamental reason why viruses are so common on Windows machine is
> based
> on a strategy that Microsoft has used to help create and maintain its
> monopoly. Apple has not yet shown signs of wanting to adopt such a
> strategy.
>
> I do not run an antivirus program on my Macs, but I am very careful when I
> am
> installing new things (software, widgets, templates, etc) to read the
> directions and to read every warning box before clicking "OK".

Which results in a machine with an open architecture more easy to sic a
virus on is how I understood it at one point way back.
With Mac maintaining a "closed architecture" whatever that might really
mean. Now that its Unix I'd think it would be a whole new ballgame though.

It all needs to be choreographed just right.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com