Subject: [Leica] IMG:Hoppy strolls around Melbourne, part one
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Aug 23 04:15:29 2007

Folks the first of some new bw pics from me. I'm getting to know the XTOL
and was very impressed with 1:3 on the Neopan 400. Now
perhaps I need to reduce my development times somewhat next time.

I had a weekend in Melbourne, home of my favourite Leica dealer, in
Victoria. I visited a marvelous portrait exhibition by Karen
Catt, an Aussie now based in New York. All Hasselblad work and printed as
large squares on good photo rag. It was held at the State
Library.

There are some building photographs and some folks outside.

Of course it was necessary to include senoritas as is now a minor LUG
tradition.

One pic of 19th century body armour as worn by Ned Kelly, an Australian
bushranger (bandit) and folk anti-hero.

This chap and three gang members had armour fashioned from ploughshares. In
their last encounter with the authorities, they held a
pub full of people hostage, attempted to ambush a train full of law
enforcement people then had a last stand where they emerged
through the morning mist, revolvers blazing and defied their sworn enemies
to defeat them. On each shot failing to penetrate his
armour, Ned struck his helmet with pistol butt, making it ring like a bell.
The police finally knocked him down with multiple shots
to the unprotected limbs. He survived, only to be executed later. One bullet
impact dent remains in his helmet, perhaps half an inch
above his eyes. You may see another in his boot, which was later cut from
his foot to address the injury. Another broke his finger
on his revolver butt, which I have shown previously. Today the four armour
suits have all been correctly reassembled and are on
display over several locations in that state.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/a/Vic/MV1.jpg.html>

<http://tinyurl.com/ypcr8d>

As always comments are very welcome.

Cheers