Subject: [Leica] Nikon D3 FF
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Thu Aug 23 01:43:15 2007

Bob

I did less since I use a cropfactor-challenged R-D1s mostly...

Leica will for shure introduce FF sensors one day, but this may take time,
as Sony's FF sensors are actually produced in very limited amounts and Nikon
is the much more important client for Sony than Leica. And when FF sensors
will hit the rangefinder market, Zeiss will likely jump on the wagon with a
new M-mount digital RF body. Good for us, bad for Solms.

Also good to know Nikon joins the DSLR fullframe peak and Canon is not alone
there anymore. This will vitalize the competition between them. Canon seemed
to have become a bit oversaturated in the past time. Seen from the specs,
their 40D announced monday seems largely outpaced by the D300, and their 1ds
MkIII has only the pixel count on the plus side left (21mp).

What is intriguing me are the new Nikon's significant price differences in
Dollar and Euro/British Pounds mentioned at dpreview. $5000 would be a good
price for the D3, but ?5180 (=$7k) or ?3399 is much more, even including
some european countries' excessive VAT rates.

Didier