Subject: [Leica] I can't print my petunias!!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Aug 22 09:56:34 2007

> repeatable once you arrive at a final print that pleases you. The fine art
> guys will absolutely go through multiple generations of
> proof prints as they work up a final version.
> You can also choose to soft-proof with simulated exhibition lighting, for
> example. The perfect print for nominal daylight will not
> look at all the same under gallery conditions, as you know. Or simulate
> different paper whiteness levels, or ink-sets etc etc.
>
> Cheers
> Hoppy
>

> Soft proof to you.
> Hard copy to me.
> Semantics maybe
>
> Darkroom paper is expensive too.

I do object to this terminology "soft proof".

There's nothing "soft" about running a print on the same paper your final
result would be on. If it comes out perfect than its a perfect print.
Nothing "soft" about it. It's printing.
You are making images until the image looks like the way you want it.
Then you keep that one. Or figure out the next day which one's the best.
What's "soft" is the monitor.
The monitor is not the print. A print is a print.
The monitor is the monitor. Its not printing.
Just look looking at numbers on a darkroom exposure meter its numbers not
hard copy.

Also it sounds like this "other" thing that you're obviously never going to
do. Who here makes a "soft proof"? I bet nobody.
On a partial piece of paper maybe?
I don't see it.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY