Subject: [Leica] BULLITT and THE FRENCH CONNECTION and Cars
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Tue Aug 21 20:04:24 2007

I doubt that they were ever fed peanuts. In Gates County, just south
of Suffolk and Smithfield, we fed hogs what we called "pea hay," the
plant that grew the peanuts on its roots. It was stacked and dried
like hay and commonly fed to livestock. It was the leftover after the
peanuts were sold for human consumption.

We raised lots of peanuts. In fact, into the '60s the Gatesville High
School teams were known as the Goobers. I'm sure Andy Griffith Show
cured us of any innocent fondness we had for the name.

Ric Carter
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ricc/