Subject: [Leica] philosophy of street photography
From: johnbeeching at (John Beeching)
Date: Mon Aug 20 04:51:42 2007

Dear Brian,

Street photography ranges from the concealed to the staged via the
discrete.  There is generally a desire to remain uninvoved and to capture
what is happening "out there" uninfluenced by the observer; certainly, that
is where I woudl put myself: However, you can't
always avoid being observed/detected even if only in an undefinably
psychological sense, and occasionally that interaction can make the picture:
But more often than not it can spoil it.

On 19/08/07, Brian Reid <> wrote:
> I've been curious for years why it is that the norm in street photography
> is
> not to interact with the subjects. I am primarily a portrait person, and
> everything about portraiture involves interacting with the subject. The
> street photographs that get the most accolades seem to be those in which
> the
> photographed subjects do not show awareness of the photographer. I always
> find that unsettling.
> Why is this? Is there some philosophical basis, or is it just habit?
> Brian

John Beeching