Subject: [Leica] Visoflex III
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Aug 14 21:29:24 2007

At 08:07 PM 8/14/2007, Peter O'Toole wrote:

 >This is my first letter to lug -- I joined the list serve last night. I
 >need
 >to ask a favor. First a little about myself, I started shooting with an M6
 >in 1995, and I just got an M8 in April.  I am looking for a VisoFlex III,
 >as
 >I sold my film-type photo copying system, and now I want to use my M8 for
 >copy work -- probably need a dedicated macro lense as well.  I tried ebay,
 >but the bidders are pretty cagey, and they appear to be collectors and
 >re-sellers.

Peter

Welcome aboard!

You have opened a can of worms.  There are a
bunch of folks on the LUG who detest the Visoflex
system and they will rale and rant against it in
short order, claiming it is clumsy and
worthless.  They are wrong, of course:  the
Visoflex system is an elegant expansion of what
is the ultimate system camera of the analog era,
the Leica RF line.  (When you start digging
around the catalogs, both photographic and
scientific and start recognizing the vast breadth
and depth of the system, what with all of the
doo-dads, gee-gaws, and add-ons manufactured over
the years, then you know what a TRUE system camera is!)

One example of the worth of the Visoflex system
is that it continued in production for two
decades after the introduction of the original
Visoflex.  An RF with reflex housing is
essentially superior to most SLR's for macro and
extreme tele applications due to the lack of
meter slap.  (Amateur astrophotographers in the
1950's and 1960's often used the rather
inexpensive Praktica FX series of cameras as
these had a VERY long shutter release throw which
allowed you to release the mirror and only then
actually take the picture, this being in an era
when more expensive SLR's generally did not allow
such a mirror pre-release.  Questar until 1970,
for like reasons, only advocated the use of a
Leica RF with Visoflex on its telescopes.)

All of the Leitz reflex housings from the
original PLOOT of 1936 to the last Visoflex III
of 1984 will fit your M6, though the thread-mount
versions will require an LTM to M adapter.  The
M8 is a tad more selective:  all (PLOOT, Visoflex
I, II, IIa, and III) will fit but the 90-degree
VF for the Visoflex II and IIa will not
work.  You can use the vertical VF on these or
you can use the Visoflex III right-anngle VF
which will fit on these earlier reflex housings.

I have never used an M8 -- hell, for that matter,
I have never even SEEN an M8!  But I own almost
all of the Leitz reflex housings (I am missing
the original Epidiascope and the medical versions
of the Visoflex) and regularly use these on my
Leicas (I have a IIIc, IIIf RDST, IIIg, M3 DS and
M6 Wetzlar), especially for macro work.  I
generally work with macro lenses such as Leitz
Photars or Zeiss Luminars mounted on a Bellows II
rig.  For smaller-magnification work, I use a
4/9cm or 4/13.5cm lens head on the Bellows.  I do
own a first-generation 65mm Elmar but I rarely
use this for micro work but use it instead for
portraiture and the like.  I generally use my M6
due to its wonderfully accurate metering.

(I also occasionally hook up one of my cameras to
a telescope such as my Questar 3.5 -- a 2600mm
telephoto is a Mighty Hammer, albeit the f/29
focal ration takes some getting used to!  I also
sometimes use one of these on my 76mm Swift 831
refractor with its 1000mm focal length;  this
allows great pictures of nesting birds and squirrel nexts and the like.)

Starting in 1984, Leitz began to abandon its
system approach to either the M or R systems so
that, today, we only have shards and remnants of
what was once a magnificent and wide-ranging complexity of the line.

Listen not to those negative and wrong-hearted
souls who deride the Visoflex.  It truly is an
elegant addition to the camera which considerably
expands the capabilities of the system.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!