Subject: [Leica] Re: Hummingbird
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Tue Aug 14 19:34:22 2007

Lawrence Zeitlin <lrzeitlin@optonline.net> wrote:

>I am in awe of your hummingbird picture. I marvel at both your sense
>of composition and the quickness of your trigger finger. How on earth
>did you manage to catch the bird's wings in a perfect position?

Trial and error and trial and error and trial and.....

the real difficulty was following the hummingbird as it moved around the
thistle, then recognizing that the posture and composition for the next
1/200 of a second will be perfect, communicating this fact to the shutter
finger, and hoping the wing position is good while the shutter is open.

> What shutter speed did you use?

1/3000 sec, set manually.  Aperture was set at f/5.6 meaning effectively f/8
with the 1.4x extender.

> Please tell me that the picture was one of many attempts

there are some really nice things about digital capture, including and
especially the low cost of mistakes ;-)

thanks for the comments and the compliments, I appreciate it!

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com