Subject: [Leica] IMG: Muir Lake, B&W
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue Aug 14 18:25:18 2007

At 07:33 PM 8/14/2007, you wrote:
>Tina, you've selectively burnt in the sky, I think? There is a
>slightly distracting edge to the skyline that is more prominent to me
>in the bw. I don't think that contrast is too high in either
>rendition. For my taste, I might darken the overall exposures a little.
>In the bw, I find a slightly uncomfortable texture effect through
>the foreground grasses. It may just be a function of the detail
>there at the size shown on the web?
>
>Cheers
>Hoppy

Hi, Hoppy - No, no burning in at all.  In fact no selective work
except spotting out some sensor dust that was in the sky.  I think
any artifacts that you are seeing and the sharpening in the details
are all effects of the jpeg compression.  I read somewhere else that
M8 files do not compress well (too much detail?) and I agree.  The
web sized jpegs seem to deteriorate quite a bit more with the M8
files than they do with the Canon files, but I like the M8 tiff files
better than the Canon tiff files!!!

Tina

Tina Manley
ASMP, NPPA, EP, PI