Subject: [Leica]: Was D-21; Is XB-70, maybe B-58?
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon Aug 13 21:28:29 2007

I desperately wish I could have seen a B-58 in the air. After I was
old enough to drive I'd go down to the Air Force Museum at Wright
Patterson. At that time, before the new museum was built, the aircraft
sat outside. B-70, B-58, a great hulking B-36, B-47 and all the WWII
birds. I was always a lover of the big delta-winged fighters. The
Century-Series fighters were the shapes of my youth.

The brakes for the B-70 were designed/built at B F Goodrich about a
mile from my home. My senior year "career day" was spent there and I
got to see films of the "test to destruction" of one brake. Amazing to
see. The brakes were liquid-cooled but the stored KE of a huge wheel
with a vast electric motor was enough to melt that puppy down. I can
still see the shower of sparks!

The most impressive siting is a tie: an SR-71 shooting touch and goes
at Mather AFB and a B-52 flying about 500 feet (or lower) across South
Dakota. We were driving back from Minnesota in the late 80s when we
spotted a shape clear the hills to the west. I knew what it was
immediately. We stopped and my whole family watched as this BUFF came
plowing over head at, what, 300 knots or better, trailing thin black
trails. One seriously hurtlin' piece of machinery! Great sound - but
NOTHING, abosultely NOTHING compared to that SR-71 as it powered up to
re-enter the pattern for another touch and go. OMG what a sound. I was
in a convertible, top down, a gorgeous late summer morning, vivid blue
sky, achingly black airplane, the red lines painted on the underside
of her wings stood out vividly. I pulled off US-50 about Zinfendel and
just watched.

Adam