Subject: [Leica] Half an M something
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Aug 10 07:43:16 2007

Tina offered in answer to this BBC stupidity of for free news coverage.:

>>> And they pay nothing to "contributors"

In contributing to BBC News you agree to grant us a royalty-free,

non-exclusive license to publish and otherwise use the material in

any way that we want, and in any media worldwide.

Boo, hiss!!<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Tina and others,

I'm in complete agreement with Tina and other like minded folks simply
because eventually the world wide agencies will stop paying for anything
simply because everybody, their brothers & sisters, will be submitting
images for what they perceive as a "moment of glory shown on the BBC!"
Maybe?  Then receiving nothing but a "credit-line" if BBC news can fit it
in.

Read this part.

non-exclusive licence to publish and otherwise use the material in any way
that we want, and in any media worldwide. This may include the transmission
of the material by our overseas partners; these are all reputable foreign
news broadcasters who are prohibited from altering the material in any way
or making it available to other UK broadcasters or to the print media.<<<<<

But it's OK for them to pass it on to others where and whenever they wish.
That's your photography they received for free!

In participating in this world wide rip off, do you really think the BBC
will pass your images to others for free? ABOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!

If you Joe Shmuck should send a smashing great world wide photo of Osama bin
Laden in a cave to BBC News for "FREE?" "BBC News" will immediately offer it
to every  news outlet in the world read my lips, " FOR A HUGE FEE!!!!!!"

And dear Joe Shmuck receives diddly squat because he submitted it for free
and a moment of maybe? a free credit line if there is room.

These days what's required for the masses of cell phone camera and digital
folks is a lesson about news agencies ripping them off when they submit free
"news pictures of interesting world photo moments."  And that is DON'T DO IT
UNLESS THEY ARE COMPENSATED!"  Or certainly something of worth in relation
to the importance of the news moment.

EXAMPLE: A few years ago in Chicago O'Hare airport there was a terrible
plane crash and a chap waiting for his flight at the bar saw the crash begin
and started shooting with his camera. Some 300 plus people died.

The local TV station offered $50,000 USD just to look at his roll of film
and for first rights of use. They in turn became his agent in marketing the
images to other networks and wire agencies. Obviously for a fee!

The pictures were sold over and over again to the extent the photog made a
fortune as well as the TV station recovered their initial outlay of $50,000
and a very nice profit as well.

Today and BBC NEWS? The guy might get a, maybe, if there's room? A
credit-line?  BBC NEWS makes a fortune and smile all the way to the bank!

Now which would you rather be? A shooter with a nice piece of change in your
pocket or a possible fleeting moment of potential glory?

Use your photographer abilities and pictures for "your benefit" when any
agency or newspaper offers to use them for a credit-line. If the photography
and photo moment is of value to the news outlet, then it's worth them paying
some kind of compensation! Think about it folks before sending it for
nothing!

So endth  the lesson for this morning. :-)

ted