Subject: [Leica] Re: Armed White America?
From: pj at GoodPhotos.com (Michael Eric Berube)
Date: Thu Aug 9 14:23:26 2007

KC wrote:
> Possibly interesting to note: Of the subsets of "gun owners" one of
> the most difficult to convince to be photographed was middle class
> African Americans, many of whom expressed concern at participating in
> or reinforcing a stereotype.
Mayhaps this reticence on the part of African Americans showing that
they are armed is a holdover from the fact that since their very
inception in these United States, so called "Gun Control Laws" -like the
laws prohibition possession of certain medicinal/recreational flora-
were first meant to control those "uppity Negroes from getting out of
line."?

With all of the laws now on the books, nothing much has changed since
National Firearms Act of 1934...except the underground economy is
thriving in the niche markets created in areas where firearms ownership
is prohibited. Thanks to such economies, regardless of race or
ethnicity, the only people in these areas who can afford to (or dare go
afoul of the law to) arm and protect themselves are largely the criminal
elements. I wonder if those selfsame criminal elements prefer an unarmed
populace?

Carpe lumen,
Michael Eric Berube
(in the well armed, extremely safe and very friendly State of Maine.)

Replies: Reply from h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche) ([Leica] Re: Armed White America?)