Subject: [Leica] Re: Armed *White* America?
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Thu Aug 9 14:10:16 2007

Interesting to note what different people think of as representational.
A popular firearms magazine declined to run a review of it saying, (I'm
paraphrasing) "there aren't enough normal looking people in it." I'm not
sure if it was Michelle's pink hair, or Cicelia's tattoo or Bash's
dreads. Pink hair, tattoos, and dreadlocks seem very "normal" to me here
in urban Philadelphia -- but they might not to someone from Montana, or
Utah or even central Pennsylvania. What's normal and proper to some
seems perverse to others. One email I got said "you could have done
without the gang bangers" -- which I took to mean "people with
dreadlocks or corn-rows or knit caps" I don't know if there are any gang
members in my book -- but I didn't meet anybody who gave me the
impression they were, yet that ability to jump to a conclusion exists
both within and without the gun community and can be pointed in any
direction.

It was a useful lesson for me and one of the things that I think helped
me grow as a person during this process.

Kc

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Re: Armed *White* America?)