Subject: [Leica] Re: Guns and Leicas
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Wed Aug 8 13:17:40 2007

> How many of us Leica owners are also gun owners?
Nope

> How many own more guns than Leicas?
Nope

> How many own more Leicas than guns?
Yes. 1 Leica. And always the possibility of a second one, because you
never know.

> How many of us shoot more pictures with Leicas than bullets from guns?
Consequently.

> Is there a natural affinity for lovers of precise machinery between
> Leicas and fine firearms?
For some it might seem so. But for me there are many others types of
precise machinery that I like a lot more than a firearm: fountain
pens, single malts, wristwatches, meccano, minitiature trains,
airplanes big, small and very small, havanas, etc. The usual stuff :-)
Can't have it all, and guns are very very low on my priority list.
Let alone the fact that you can't own guns over here without a licence.
But then again, I don't live in the US. Of which by now I understand
that for some there are cultural and historical reasons to own one.
I don't think that the deepest driver for gun owning is 'precise
machinery love' or 'cultural and historical reasons', though. It's a
bit more archetypical than that: sheer protection.
Which you can't say of a Leica. Or a fountain pen and the lots, for
that matter. The appeal from those is far more cultural. Which is
about societal progression. And not about archetypical standstill.
Aren't we at the stage yet that it becomes time to start to embrace
the fact that being human should mean not needing protection?
Or are we still more of an evolved animal than we think?

IMO ofcourse.

BTW: I think that it is this duality that will make such a succes of
Kyle's book. There are only two possible opinions about gun
ownership. By not taking a standpoint in this debate, his book
appeals to both. The same image, different interpretations. His
decision to stay unbiassed in this matter was sheer genius.

Philippe