Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 review, M9 anticipation
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue Aug 7 22:32:28 2007

I think the whole obsolescence argument is overdone. I am happily using
a Canon 1D Mark II, bought second-hand in 2005 and released (I think in
2004). There is Mark III now, and I am sure there will other models
within the next year. So what? The camera has a shutter rated at 200000
exposures; between me and the first owner we have taken about 50000
pictures with it, so from a mechanical point of view it should continue
to function just fine for quite a while. And the key thing is that my
pictures taken with it do not suddenly get worse just because a new
model has been released.

Clearly, no digital camera will ever match the useful life of an M3. But
on the other hand, to say that the useful life of a modern DSLR is equal
to the product release cycle is simply bunk.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands