Subject: [Leica] vers 1.107
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Mon Aug 6 16:01:45 2007

2007-08-06-16:53:32 Ted Grant:
> All I have to do now is figure out how to upgrade this firmware thing. :-)

The instructions are here:

  http://leica-camera.us/assets/file/download.php?filename=file_2669.pdf

You just put the firmware file in the right place on a flash card, stick
it in the M8, and follow the directions.

...but I think it'd be safer to let some computer-savvy kid do it for
you.  You need to learn day-to-day stuff to take and process photos,
which you're doing -- if the firmware upgrade process makes you nervous,
trust that instinct and let someone else do it.

> At the moment I have:
>
> A/ Cord to connect camera and computer and figure out which end goes into
> where. OK so I figured that part out.

Ah.  Here's the difference -- you plug the camera into your computer,
while a number of us instead work by popping the full SD cards out of
the camera and sticking them into a computer card reader like this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/446771-REG/Sandisk_SDDRX3_3IN1R_Extreme_USB_2_0_Card.html

or something similar when we transfer pictures.  Those same card readers
can write to the cards as well as read; that's how you'd write the
firmware to the card to do the upgrade.

 -Jeff M

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] vers 1.107)