Subject: [Leica] PAW 31 AND A QUESTION.
From: vroger at gmail.com (Victor Rubin)
Date: Mon Aug 6 09:57:57 2007

Hi all:
I have been getting used to a "new" lens for my DSLR and took the enclosed
PAW in Central Park New York from a distance. In any event I have a
question. I bought an FZ20 some years ago. It has a Vario_Elmarit "Leica"
branded lens with a 2.8 maximum aperture which remains at 2.8 throughout the
effective zoom range- from 35-420mm. Thereafter, I started using an FZ30
which closes down to 3.7 at the long end of the zoom range. Tamron lenses
ie: 28-300 (44-480 effective zoom range digital) closes down to 6.3 at the
long end. My question is why??- I am going to start using  the FZ 20 again,
which stays open at 2.8 even at the end of the range for "lower light"
telephoto portraits. Unfortunately the sensor is noisy. The DSLR which has
the less noisy sensor but the much more noisy shutter, can't be used in low
light for extremely long portraits even though the top range of the DSLR is
1600 ISO. Why must they reduce the zoom apertures in some lenses and not
others. Why the difference do you think, between the FZ20 and 30??

http://vroger.smugmug.com/gallery/2321992/5/180568375/Large

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] PAW 31 AND A QUESTION.)