Subject: [Leica] shift happens
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Aug 4 16:47:52 2007

George and Ken:  It ain't just people in mental institutions.  You've just
described one of the monkey wrenches in the works of our Total Digital
Nirvana.  People are still people.  Some of them lie, cheat, and put bogus
information out for fun, for profit, or for political and ideological
reasons. Or just because they can.

Many people are swayed by the most charismatic arguer rather than the most
reasonable argument.  Yes, it was ever thus.  But the spread of hate
propaganda by the Internet is a worrisome phenomenon, because the Internet
amplifies the haters' reach.  Crackpots who would only attract a few dozen
followers in two counties now can have a global audience.  People who want
to take us all back to the Seventh Century are gaining followers and
issuing detonation orders using 21st Century technology.

Case in point:  I recently saw the film "Taking Sides," an account of the
Allies' investigation of the great German conductor Wilhelm Furtw?ngler
after the end of World War II.  Unlike some other artists and musicians who
had the means to leave, Furtw?ngler chose to remain in Germany under the
Nazis.  His record was a bit ambiguous here and there, but in sum it was
pretty clear that he was no Nazi himself.  He was tried by a denazification
court, which effectively cleared him of charges of collaboration.  But his
decision to stay in Germany haunted him for the rest of his life.

This whole subject of how artists are co-opted and corrupted (or not) by
totalitarian regimes interests me greatly, so I went online to read
more.  I started with the Wikipedia article on Furtw?ngler.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Furtwangler

I also read several of the references cited at the end of the article,
including this one:
http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v17/v17n3p-2_Charles.html

Some of the writing in the latter seemed quite reasonable, but every couple
of paragraphs there was a statement criticizing Jews or Jewish groups, or
casting cultural life under the Nazis in a positive light.  An alarm bell
went off in my head, and I hit the Web site's main page and "About Us"
statement, only to discover that it was the Institute for Historical
Review!  This is the group associated with convicted Holocaust denier David
Irving.

Now, I was raised in the obsolete print era, when we were always taught to
consider the source.  But in today's rapid-fire information age, we have to
ignore many things in order to make sense of what comes across the
Web.  I'm in a habit of mentally filtering out extraneous material when I
surf (ads, cute graphics, etc), and in my haste to read the article, I
failed to notice the "Institute for Historical Review" banner at the top.

I wonder how many uninformed people read this article and concluded that
there was some vast, coordinated Jewish-Zionist conspiracy to discredit
German culture and all innocent German artists who happened to live there
between 1933-1945.  For that is what the article implied.  The site's
"About Us" page makes that viewpoint abundantly clear.

But in the course of casual surfing, how many people would bother to find
that out?  What I'm saying is that along with this exponential explosion of
information, there is also an exponential explosion of lies and hate
propaganda.  And an information-saturated, time-rushed audience is a bit
more likely to believe the lies.  If, as the famous New Yorker cartoon
stated, "On the Internet no one knows you're a dog," it is also true that
on the Internet you can hide the fact that you're a hatemonger.

Even in Wikipedia, one of the prime "go-to" sites for information on the Web.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] shift happens)