Subject: [Leica] B&W filters with digital
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Sat Aug 4 12:19:37 2007

In a message dated 8/4/2007 10:16:01 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

My  question is - are people still using filters for colour balance?  Or
simply doing colour correction in  photoshop?

Thanks
Gareth

I have a general rule: Use PS only for cropping. Avoid the  ersatz as much
as
possible.
Traditional filters work with B&W digital if you can set  your camera to B&W
at exposure, as I do when using the Oly 5050. However,  the Nikon D70
permits
B&W only through PS and other post processing  software. I don't know enough
about the M8 to say whether it can be switched to  B&W at exposure. If not,
it
should be.

As for color, most system digitals can be corrected in camera.  They have
excellent white balance and other controls. I never had occasion to  warm up
or
cool down an image in digital color. A number of my friends regularly  do
that
in PS so the viewer hardly notices it. You can miss a lot of good shots
taking time to change filters. And they don't do a fine lens any good. The
only
filter I use on any lens is the UV -- mostly to protect the front element
from
crud and scratches. I order a first rate UV filter whenever I buy a new
lens.

I have a great set of B&W Leitz filters for my Elmars. The  yellow and green
are my favorites. When I want to get arty, I use a red filter.  But you
gotta
factor them in when using a film M. Rule of thumb is that they  lighten
their
own color and tend to darken the others. I haven't used  filters for a long
while, so I may be fuzzy on the info. Kodak used to publish  small guides
that
actually incorporated miniature plastic filters so you could  preview their
effects visually.

Best,
Bob

at