Subject: [Leica] M8 Review
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Thu Aug 2 01:44:05 2007

In a message dated 8/1/2007 8:03:23 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

I was  thinking of gadgetry in the Leica RF to sense at the image plane, the
point  of best sharpness, and indicating to the user that the lens was
focused at  the point of best sharpness.

That point might be selected at  where the RF patch would be pointed.

The RF patch might turn a  slight shade of green, if you turned the lens to
achieve "best focus" as  determined at the sensor.

Then you press the shutter and take  the photo.
Most Nikon AF film and digital cameras use a similar indicator  approach
when
the camera is set to Manual focus. For example, in the N2020 when  you focus
manually the green LED in the VF comes on to confirm focus. That  shouldn't
be
too difficult to engineer into a digital M. However, the basic idea  in an M
should be simplicity, not complexity. Maybe the Noctilux at full  aperture
might benefit from some form of AF, but in most lenses I set  appropriate
DOF and
seldom focus when using my M3.

In any case the RF of an M is excellent, all diopters  considered.

Bob

at