Subject: [Leica] Idle Musings on Darkroom Chemistry, B&W
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Jul 24 10:18:39 2007

> editions until Agfa bought out Gevaert in the
> 1960's.  These were printed by the gazillion and are quite available used.
>
> --  The Photo Lab Index, or PLI.  This one was a
> volume with annual updates, produced until fairly
> recently (1985?  1990?)  PLI contains a slew of
> technical information on various manufacturers
> and was intended to professional labs.  It does
> leave out some of the smaller producers of photo
> chemistry.  Go down to the next camera store in
> your neighborhood which is closing and score a
> copy for $5.  (I was gifted two copies in this
> way, and that was ten or fifteen years back.)
>
> -- CHAMPLIN ON FINE GRAIN.  This is a Pre-War
> book but is really informative and helpful.  It
> is a monograph and is readily available used.
>
> --  There are two books whose name escapes
> me:  150 BLACK AND WHITE FORMULAS and 150 COLOR
> FORMULAS, perhaps?

That's the Dignam book and that's my main resource until Steve Ansel's books
came out.
Pat Dignan's "150 D0-It-Yourself B & W Popular Photographic Formulas"?

That's the book I bought when I bought my scale in Oregon City in 1976.
AFTER I'd got out of college.

I just drove Highways 40 and 81 through Virginia moving my stuff back from
Portland OR to here, NYC. In a white Toyota Wienna minivan.

What's behind that row of trees which line the highway looks like blown up
Lichen from an HO train set?
More trees maybe.
Junk Yards? Stills?
The Red or White Russian armies? Bolsheviks?
A train with General Strelnikov?
Whatever it was I almost faked a flat tire to find out.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Idle Musings on Darkroom Chemistry, B&W)