Subject: [Leica] For those of us analog fans....
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Jul 21 08:28:18 2007

Jim Shulman showed:

http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/<<<<<<

Hi Jim,
The same strip was in our paper this morning! :-) This is so true about
burned to computer hard drive or DVD disc and "holding prints!!"

One very important thing I've discovered this past few years when showing a
potential client or new editor my work given it's a world of laptops,
computer screens and CD's carried to meetings and that is, "holding a print
in hand can be so very important!!"

Editors these days spend countless hours daily with their face glued to a
computer screen looking at hundreds and hundreds of photos, almost after a
while they all begin to look the same.

So I arrive with lap top and disc or just disc and my photography comes up
on the screen and it's just another in their face computer image. No matter
how good it is! Just another day into the screen.

However I've had this editor reaction happen a number of times......... not
only do I have the disc, but I take prints!!!!!!! 12X18 size. But don't hand
them over until he or she has looked on the screen first, then you put the
prints before them and they absolutely come to life picking up a "real
printed photograph!!!" :-)

Then a few things might happen...this situation has happened more than once.
Editor on "inter-com.. "Hey Charlie come in here I've got real photographs
for you to look at!" In comes Charlie who in-turn calls someone else and
they're all ooooooing and aaaaaaaaaahhhing over prints! :-)

It's like kids in a candy shop tenderly holding candy, only these people are
handling prints..... you don't need many, but the re-action and actions to
passing prints back and forth is amazing. And they pay far more attention to
the photograph and spend more time asking about you and your photography.

Big points scored about your photographs and ability.

It isn't much, but it's exactly the point made in the cartoon strip about
"holding!"

Think about this as a sort of similar situation :

First there was B&W photos... and family album.  Then came slides and the
attendant projectors and screen to see them.... it became tiresome setting
it all up so many family scenes were never looked at or once and that was
it.

Then colour print film and the albums became popular again.

Now we have digital and computers and most people save to hard drive and or
disc and it becomes a big pain in the butt inserting disc, everyone crowding
around the screen. Eventually leading to lots of family pictures nobody
looks at again or ever see.

But the good part is. Use the computer to edit, pick the few super ones,
make 4X6 prints and put those in an album and we're back to the family
album. And everyone's enjoyment holding them.

ted