Subject: [Leica] Kiev RF Cameras: was, WHO IS THAT OLD GUY?
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Jul 17 15:36:12 2007
References: <20070715104223.052432FD0E@donald.hostspirit.ch> <002d01c7c6d3$05a4bd30$6601a8c0@asus930> <008301c7c72b$7fcf1f30$2101a8c0@luispersonal> <200707160015.l6G0F0Pv016659@server1.waverley.reid.org> <469ABF16.30100@hemenway.com> <002701c7c744$8e191320$6601a8c0@asus930> <469ACF17.5080001@san.rr.com> <003901c7c754$d4fbf1d0$6601a8c0@asus930> <469B23A9.7040704@hemenway.com> <001901c7c780$1f0fa9d0$6601a8c0@asus930> <469BC4E0.30007@hemenway.com> <001301c7c7f0$c5d8d9b0$6601a8c0@asus930>

At 05:32 PM 7/16/2007, G Hopkinson wrote:
 >Jim, well I bought it cheaply to have a play. They were manufactured
 >in the former CCCP on machinery taken from Contax at the end of
 >WW11. I am told that quality control is the biggest issue.
 >This particular one was made in 1967. It is ruggedly constructed.
 >There is no risk of mistaking it for an M3 in fit and finish.
 >Having said that, the finder and rangefinder are very good in mine and
 >the lens glass looks excellent as does the bomb proof
 >shutter. I shall post some pictures from it
when I get a chance to try it out.
 >I am sure that Marc will be happy to explain the Kiev story, including
 >perhaps the foreman's daughter's cabbage soup recipe ;-)

I tried to stay out of this but your use of my
name made my intervention necessary.

First, I wish Hoppy had asked me the question
about the cabbage soup recipe a decade ago, when
I was interviewing through their families a
couple of guys hauled off to serve as foremen at
the Arsenal Works at Kiev.  One of them did
comment that he disliked Ukrainian sausage, as it
had too much garlic for his taste.  Another
commented on the low quality of Ukrainian
beer.  All did say that they were well-treated in
their captivity and that they were permitted to
have their families with them.  Back in the early
1980's, American Express used an advertising
slogan, "Don't Leave Home Without It".  A Soviet
emigre y-clept Yakov Smirnoff did a stand-up
comedy schtick about the "Russian Express Card",
whose slogan was purported to be, "Don't Leave
Home".  These guys taken from Zeiss Ikon were
told, "Don't Leave Home", though they were
finally allowed to return to Germany in the 1980's and 1990's.

The Kiev RF line are clones and developments of
the Prewar Contax II and III cameras produced by
Zeiss Ikon in Dresden.  Hoppy made the
unfortunate comparison of a Kiev RF to a Leica
M3.  A better comparison would be a Kiev RF to a
Leica IIIc or IIIf.  I love the IIIc, but a
Contax II is a world above it in all terms and it
has those magnificent Carl Zeiss Jena
lenses.  Hell, when I use my IIIc or IIIf or
IIIg, I generally use them with LTM CZJ lenses.

With Kiev RF's, the general consensus is the
earlier the better.  A 1948 Kiev II would
probably have been made with parts made at Jena
for the Contax Jena.  Other parts would have been
made on machines taken from the Contax Jena
assembly line by workers supervised by Zeiss Ikon
guys.  The lenses would probably have been CZJ
lenses with badge-engineered lens rings.  But
even a very late Kiev RF is a very effective
tool, and the price of entry makes them very
attractive.  I never much cared for the Kiev 5,
but I do like the last of the IV series, produced to 1986.

These cameras all allow use of the most handy
Zeiss Ikon cassette system.  All have a really
grand combined RF/VF.  The lens range is superb
as well, though the Arsenal works never
duplicated the Flektoskop reflex housing of Zeiss
Ikon to allow the use of really long
lenses.  They did produce a really nifty beam-splitter stereo rig.  Neat
stuff.

I find a Contax II the most satisfactory RF
miniature-format camera I have yet used and so I
will often take a Contax II or a Kiev II when I
walk around the neighborhood.  Decent gear and most capable.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] IR cut filters included with M8 purchase)