Subject: [Leica] IMG: hoppy on Kangaroo Island part two
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Jul 13 20:53:24 2007

LUG denizens. Here is the second installment of my Kangaroo Island
travelogue.

Nine new photographs start here

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/a/c_001/KI+7.jpg.html>

We stayed for several days in a cozy beach house nestled right into the
dunes at Vivonne Bay. Just stunning turquoise water and
crystal air. I saw only one other person outside in the scenery in that time
at this beautiful location.

We visited a local commercial wildlife park, which is home to rescued or
orphan animals. There are areas where humans can roam free
range amongst some of the local citizens. The Kangaroo Island kangaroo is
endemic to KI. They are smaller than many mainland
species.

This emu is a curious fellow and was tending to a nest of large eggs just in
the open less than a metre inside their enclosure. The
"nest" was no more than a couple of token sticks. Portrait from the shadow
side by Elmarit M 90.

The obligatory koala photo. They were reintroduced from the mainland and
have exploded in population within this new environment.
Sometimes known locally as drop bears, for their terrifying habit of
plummeting from tall trees onto unsuspecting tourists. Look at
those claws.

My daughter made friends with a local. Roo friendly food is provided.

The Tammar wallby is a smaller version of a kangaroo. They are shy and
endearing. Albinos tend to have poor life expectancies in the
wild since they can not hide very well.

As always comments and criticisms are welcomed.

Cheers

Hoppy

Replies: Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] IMG: hoppy on Kangaroo Island part two)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] IMG: hoppy on Kangaroo Island part two)