Subject: [Leica] IMG: PWIGOMLAAP: Little Bird.
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Thu Jul 12 13:11:22 2007

2007-07-10-14:52:25 Philippe Orlent:
> Hi Jeff,
> Beautiful. I just don't understand why you didn't square it. This
> image is perfect for it.

I figured it'd be an interesting exercise, so here it is square:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jbm/scratch/jbm-20070602-m8b-064-square.html

Here's the original:

  http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jbm/pwigomlaap/jbm-20070602-m8b-064.html

I have to say that although the square crop is far cleaner, with some
messy peripheral details gone, I find it kind of claustrophobic -- I
like the extra air in the rectangular crop, and especially some depth
off to the bottom/mid right.  I guess I'm also usually uneasy about a
main point of eye focus which is too directly centered.  Maybe the
woman's arm could come off the right of the rectangular version, but I
don't mind her there -- a bit of real-life context.  But perhaps I
protest too much.

What do y'all think?

 -Jeff

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] IMG: PWIGOMLAAP: Little Bird.)