Subject: [Leica] Re: Canal Bridge
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue Jul 10 07:04:50 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at 6:30 AM, H. Ball Arche wrote:

> 200 years? Not that big a deal.
> Check out Pont du Gard:
> http://tinyurl.com/3xqhnl

Obviously the Romans were better engineers than the Brits.

But given early 1800's technology, Thomas Telford was a pretty
remarkable builder. Many of his structures are still in regular use
today carrying modern traffic. A couple of blocks away from my house
in Wales, the Telford constructed Menai Bridge spans the Menai
Strait. The bridge was the world's first major suspension bridge and
offered a land route from the port where the Irish ferries docked to
England. The bridge was designed when horseback, wagons, and shoe
leather were the major forms of transportation. It is still one of
only two bridges crossing the Menai Strait and is in regular use for
cars, trucks and town busses. I commuted to work over it every day.
Most of Telford's old structures have outlasted their contemporary
rivals.

Sad to say, that may be true of photographic equipment too. They
don't build them like they used to. Maybe if the Romans had invented
photography we might still be using their concrete cameras. As it is,
my favorite Leica is a mere 70 years old. My first digital Leica
failed after three years.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Re: Canal Bridge)
Reply from h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche) ([Leica] Re: Canal Bridge)