Subject: [Leica] Olympus E 410 in Alicante
From: vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster)
Date: Wed Jul 4 17:01:19 2007

On Jul 4, 2007, at 2:57 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:

"I know this is a Leica list...but still, I have to put in a plug for my
newly acquired Olympus E410...(snip) And most importantly, the images shot
at night at ISO 800 are highly usable. "Highly usable" in this context means
"better than 800 film". Not as good as what I get from my Canon 1D2 at this
speed, but the margin is not big. And I could squeeze it into my carry-on
bag."

And please let me also put in a quick recommendation for the E-510 as well.
Same sensor as the E-410, but not as compact. For the extra size you gain
internal image stabilization and a better grip.

These new 10MP cameras have vastly improved low light performance over the
E-500 and E-330. And, while I agree that they do not measure up to the Canon
low light performance noise-wise (what can?), they produce a better color
rendering to my eyes. Battery performance is also much improved on the 510,
I've gone well over 600 images on one charge.

I've now traded off the last of my Canon gear, and am now anticipating the
long=delayed release of the E-2 professional body!

Still haven't tried the Leica R adapter, but I'm pretty dang happy with the
Oly professional glass.

Will von Dauster