Subject: [Leica] PAW 26 dlridings
From: dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Jul 2 21:57:13 2007

G Hopkinson wrote:

> What is the silk cord problem that you referred to with the Kiev body?

Thanks for the remarks, Hoppy. I'll try and get a shot done with the
Sonnar that you might like. It really does quite well. The film
combination here (Fomapan 200 + Rodinal) probably doesn't do it justice
when it comes to tonality.

The silk cord ...

A Kiev is a Contax, not a copy, really, but Arsenal (the factory where
they were made) got the Zeiss Contax factory after the war. Germans lost
and it was pay-back time.

The Contax (second version) had a fantastic shutter (the first version
was junk). Instead of cloth curtains it had metal. Nikon didn't bother
copying this construction when they brought out their rangefinders. They
just couldn't get it right. Too difficult.

So the curtains don't break or get pin-holes, but the silk cords that
pull them and space them do (about once every 30 or 40 years). They just
need to be replaced.

By the time they need to be replaced, there is also a lot of other
cleaning that needs to be done. That's where I am.

If you are really, really interested:

http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/replace%20shutter%20ribbons.html

Thanks again,
Daniel