Subject: [Leica] family pictures and good cameras
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw)
Date: Sat Jun 30 18:51:49 2007

Brian:

A nice Slice of Life from your (and many of our) past.

The thought of a Rollei 6x6 still makes me salivate.  Lovely machine,
great negs.

Thanks for the peep into your history.

Bob

On Jun 30, 2007, at 17:02, Brian Reid wrote:

One of my projects for 2007 has been to digitize all of my parents' old
family photographs and make them accessible to relatives who aren't
ever going to see and touch the physical albums that my mother has so
carefully organized and classified. There are a lot of negatives; I try
to spend 90 minutes each day working on them.

I cannot tell you how grateful I am that my parents decided in 1951,
shortly before my 2nd birthday, to buy a Rolleiflex (Automat 6x6 -
Model K4/50) and learn how to use it properly. These thousands of
negatives, pretty much all shot on Plus X, are very high quality and
show what people really looked like.

I did tell my mother of my gratitude, but I'm further expressing that
gratitude by doing all of this digitizing. Here's a picture of my
mother taken in December 1952, printing Rollei negatives in the
Officer's club darkroom at Naval Ordnance Test Station in China Lake,
California.

http://gallery.reid.org/v/subject/betty/60_1952_003.JPG.html