Subject: [Leica] Cool settings ISO AUTO
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Jun 24 11:37:56 2007

Please raise your hands if you're as cool as me I've got this new camera of
mine set up, my D40X I got the day before yesterday, with my shiny 45mm 2.8
P on it with a VERY COOL SETTING I just made up out of thin air as I walked
down the street shooting.

There's a thing in digital shooting maybe they have it on the F6 which is
called ISO AUTO. On other cameras they didn't have these other setting
though I don't think which made this thing possible I'm all excited about
will have to change my name to Mark ISO Auto Rabiner.

Which in this setting of mine gives you optimized pix like apples and
oranges to what you had before and makes you realize what a jerk you've been
your whole digital life shooting at quadruple digit ISO's. At least me.

In the ISO auto menu:
I set the max sensitivity for ISO 1600. That's as high as you can set that
thing. That's our high end.

Then I set the min shudder speed for something not all that slow.
Like 125th or 60th if its close to a normal. A safe and happy juicy shutter
speed.

OK
Now P mode does not work  for this I shoot in A mode but I think S works for
this kind of thing I'll try that again today.

As i'm in A mode I set the lens for one of my favorite f stops for that
lens.
For this 45mm on there now it would be f8.
Yes I'm an F8 lover I admit it. Its friendly. Meaty. Yet tender.
You're not going to miss your focus but your not going to be diffraction
limited. Anything but that. You don't want to have to live what that
moniker.

With my old 45GN a favorite f stop of mine was f32. But they don't make that
flavor any more over at Nikon.  (would that leave them with 31 flavors?)

But here's the flavorful part.
I set the ISO to 100! That's right! 100!
Not 1000! 100! BIG DIFFERENCE!!

Here's how I get away with it!: (hint: because of ISO auto.)

I walk down the street with my camera.
Day or night snow or sleet.
What happens?

An amazing amount of shots get taken at my choice juicy setting of f8 and at
ISO 100!! And a slew of shudder speeds up to the max 1/4000 of a second
which is why they call it a D40x no doubt.
That's when things are sunny 16. Which believe it or not they often are. And
I realize that maybe I didn't have to waver between ISO's 1000 and 1600 for
most my work. I don't even wanna know what stupid f stops and shudder speeds
I've been shooting with in the past out in the noon day sun like a moron in
P mode. But that was then. This is now......

When I go on the shady side of the street (where Woody Allen always walks)
the Raw thing in the viewfinder turns pale blue. Like the Dead Sea. Makes me
thirsty.

That means I can check it to see what ISO it got shot at.
All shots it turns out in darker locations like the shady side of the street
get shot with a different ISO ASA as you didn't want it to go below f8 and
you didn't want it to go below 125th so the ISO changes instead. Shot by
Shot. Great fun!!!!

So each shot is optimized for quality. The Mark Rabiner Way!

By the way "shady side of street" equals DARK, LOW LIGHT, INDOORS.

I'll call you in the morning and tell you all about it.
But I already did!

Is there a Leica equivalent for ISO AUTO?

You tell me! I cant find it on my IIIF!

You'll just have to call me on the phone each time you do this you don't
mind its called intellectual property or something like that.
Some have other names for it.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com