Subject: [Leica] please confine your photos to marked tourists spots
From: dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sun Jun 24 00:33:35 2007

Eric wrote:
> http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6698469
>
> "If in doubt, police say, tourists should confine their photographs to
> marked tourists spots."

I went back to the United States of Amerika over Christmas. It was a bit
of a sentimental journey, visiting aunts (I'm 54, so these are not
spring chickens)

http://www.dlridings.se/paw/paw2006/51.html

Pretty sisters (who are also 50, but still DO look like spring chickens)

http://www.dlridings.se/paw/paw2006/52.html

And favorite romps from my childhood.

One of these romps was an old country bridge, down at the bottom of Mill
Hill in Greenville, Illinois:

http://www.dlridings.se/gallery/v/Shoebox/2006v52/07v02-0012.jpg.html

My father, with all five of us kids in the car ... probably squeezed in
to the back seat at that, would hit the bride a little fast. The bump
would tickle your tummy. We liked that.

So I was mosying around, taking pictures of this key resource of
national security

http://www.dlridings.se/gallery/v/Shoebox/2006v52/07v02-0009.jpg.html
http://www.dlridings.se/gallery/v/Shoebox/2006v52/07v02-0010.jpg.html

And the police came, of course.

"Oh brother", I thought to myself, and let my two little brothers
(youngest is 47) handle it.

Police: What are you doing boys?
Brothers: Just looking.
Police: Give me your drivers license boys.

They did.

Police: (Pointing in my direction). What about his? (I was still just
snapping away. I figured I wanted to stay out of this one).
Brothers: Oh him? He's our brother. He lives in Sweden. You probably
wouldn't be able to read his license.
Police: ?
Police: Nevermind. You two get into the car.

They did. He called down to the station (where of course, someone
figured out who we were. The Ridings have lived around there since a tad
before 1930 and anyone over 60 probably went to school with my parents
or one of my aunts or uncles).

Police: You boys related to the Ridings over on Terrapin Ridge?
All three of us: No, no ... never heard of 'em (My father's youngest
brother, our uncle, has been doing some silly things that have made it
into the local rag, The Greenville Advocate, recently).

He scratched his head and drove off.

Daniel