Subject: [Leica] More on the forbidden bank
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Jun 17 16:18:46 2007

At 06:45 PM 6/17/2007, dnygr wrote:
 >It's interesting to see others have had similar experiences. I do
 >agree that if you are on public property you can photograph.
 >
 >This brings me to an interesting story.
 >
 >I know a professor at a prestigious school who likes to paint. He's
 >from Brooklyn and learned to stick up for himself in the city.
 >
 >One day he painting in a nice, rural suburb. A police car pulled up
 >and said he had a complaint about him and wanted to know what he was
 >doing. "I am painting," he responded, though the policeman could
 >clearly have recognized that and known the man has some, but not a
 >great deal of talent. No DaVinci, he.
 >
 >The policeman then asked him for some ID. The professor answered,
 >"Officer, you are now intruding on my personal property." The officer
 >wished him a good day and left.
 >
 >We should all defend our freedoms. It is far easier to rob us of our
 >freedom than to rob a bank.

Doug

In the US, the police have the right to ask you
for your identification, but no more than
that.  The Supreme Court has been pretty firm on
that for the past forty years.  It is all right
to say, "I have nothing on me", and they cannot
arrest you for that, though they can then run you
in for driving without having your license with
you if they note that you're driving.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!