Subject: [Leica] Printer Purgatory
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Jun 15 15:03:29 2007

John, from my experience, thus far, the 3800 is superior for both colour and
bw. Marvellous deep blacks, gorgeous colour
reproduction. If you are willing to make the initial outlay, just do it,
you'll never regret it. Like buying good Leica glass
really, except for the longevity factor!

The R800/R1800 makes extremely good high gloss high impact saturated colour
letter/A4 size prints. The prints, on the same Fuji
Premium glossy that I have used for a few hundred prints, are glossier than
the equivalent from the 3800. That gives them a real wow
impact. I've only used gloss papers in it. Those papers don't feel like wet
darkroom prints. They are unashamedly different.
For the R800 a proper profile is essential. For bw, getting neutral grey is
extremely challenging, but a RIP is a big help there.

The 3800 makes superb, smooth colour prints. On Crane Silver Rag, the prints
are often compared to air dried FB traditional prints.
It is considerably superior for BW due to its ABW mode and the extra black
inks available. Using just canned profiles mine did
extremely well, which I never could say about the R800.