Subject: [Leica] Lilies - jumping on the bandwagon-details
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon Jun 11 05:43:51 2007

Hi Ric,
lighting is VERY simple - light coming in from the side from a window, a
white background (sheet of A3 size paper) highlights dropped on to the
flowers with a hand mirror - lots of trial and error.

The processing was done in PSE 3.0 (haven't tried it yet in CS2. it's
probably easier and quicker)
First step is take out all the background from around the flowers with a
decent sized feathering to get nice soft edges, then fill the background
with 100% "soft light", increase the feathering and fill again, then
carry on doing this until the leaves start merging into the background.
You have to be careful here to make sure all the little gaps with
background in them have been selected (magic wand), and if you don't get
it right you get patterns that look like contours with each successive
step - then you have hours of work smudging and blurring out the
overlaps. (I never said this part was easy). The plastic effect was
mostly done by "misusing" Neat Image with a combination of sharpening
and smoothing (Noise Reduction) in different spectra  (high, mid and low
frequency), once again a lot of trial and error.

The camera used was an EOS 300D (digital rebel) with a Yashica 2,8/55mm
macro or a Leica 2.0/35mm on a tripod
Here's an original before processing:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/New-Old-Pictures/_MG_1142_edited-1.jpg.html
It is right way round - I always wear my watch on my right wrist - I'm
left eyed too, but not left-handed