Subject: [Leica] Leica M6/Tri-X vs. Ricoh GR-D and Leica D-Lux 3
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Jun 10 02:04:25 2007

On 6/10/07 4:26 AM, "mitcha@mac.com" <mitcha@mac.com> typed:

>> Excellent images and those small sensors are certainly not a
>> problem for this application if anything they're perfectly matched,
>> but these shots we see here on our screens are just a few hundred
>> pixies across. The only problem is when you want to make a print of
>> any size with them which is 240 to 360 dpi instead of 72.
>>
>> Then you have to keep it small or just have it looks the way it
>> looks. Thinned out a bit passed it's meaty point...
>
> Actually Mark, I have printed some of the Ricoh GR-D pictures at
> 100x133cm (40-52 inches) without any problem, even some pictures I
> took at ISO 800 in RAW format. The Leica  D-Lux 3 pictures I haven't
> tried printing that large, but 60x90cm (24x36 inches) was no problem.
>
> --Mitch/Bangkok

I've made plenty of darkroom C prints 40x60 inch from 35mm negs they're not
a problem just as long as you don't put them next to a shot you took with a
neg size more suited to those magnifications. Which is if not sheet film
then at least slow Brownie film. Those and especially if its slow film you
can blow up real big and the meaty point is way out there. Your not going
to be stretched too thin.

But as long as you have a whole wall full of pix just from your small film
or sensor size nobody cares. Their eyeballs accumulate. Accommodate.
Accentuate.

But you've got a whole wall full of stretched too thin shots.
You're just used to that look.

Mark Rabiner
Harlem, NY

markrabiner.com