Subject: [Leica] Re: IMG: Harbors #20
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Jun 9 16:06:28 2007

On Jun 9, 2007, at 6:37 PM, Don wrote wrote:

> Even some grades of stainless will not hold up to the sea.  I think
> that is
> one of the things that is most attractive about living with
> something so
> beautiful and so destructive.
>
> On 6/9/07, Ric Carter <ricc@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>

>> Someone chose the wrong fasteners.
>>
>> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ricc/harbors/englehard/Rusty-
>> Bow.jpg.html>
>> <http://tinyurl.com/yuv8pj>
>>
>> Ric Carter
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/Passing-Fancies

Ric, very nice pictures. But Don touched on a subject I know
intimately after refastening a 40' wooden boat. Stainless steel
fasteners are rarely used on the hulls of wooden boats. First, they
are too expensive. Second, they are subject to crevice corrosion if
prevented from oxygen exchange with the surrounding water. The
preferred fastening material is silicon bronze, or, if you have a lot
of money, monel. Most likely the boat in Ric's picture was fastened
with galvanized steel nails or bolts. After a while the zinc erodes
and the nails rust.

Larry Z