Subject: [Leica] Re: Scanners
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Jun 9 10:22:52 2007

On Jun 9, 2007, at 11:08 AM, vroger wrote:

>>> Hi All:
>>> I am wondering about a very compact scanner for negitives only. I
>>> find my
>>> general scanner with the "negative carrier" to bulky and slow. I
>>> would like
>>> to shoot some more film and scan my negatives myself. I have seen
>>> little
>>> box-like scanners advertised. Anyone have any experience witrh
>>> these? vroger

I have scanners at both ends of the spectrum, a PrimeFilm 1800i and a
Minolta 5400. The PrimeFilm scans B&W or color negatives quickly and
does not use a carrier. The film is just placed in a slot and the
cover closed. Software is rudimentary but any good image processing
program like Photoshop or GraphicConverter can let you tweak the
pictures to your heart's content. The downside is that the scanner is
limited to 1800 lpi. That's fewer pixels than you can get from most
cheap P&S cameras today. It is good for cataloging reams of negatives
but large enlargements won't win you any prize at photo shows. There
is a later model reputedly capable of 3600 lpi but I haven't tried it.

The Minolta 5400 (now supported by Sony) is at the other end of the
scanning continuum. At highest resolution the results are
unparalleled. The software is excellent. ICE and grain reduction are
supported. It does both slides and film strips in the appropriate
carriers. But scanning takes five minutes or more per frame. A single
36 exposure roll takes the better part of three hours.

The strategy I have evolved is to do a quick scan on the PrimeFilm
1800, view the images on the screen of my iMac, and note those I like
for detailed scanning on the Minolta. Even though I scan twice, the
process takes about half the time as using only the high resolution
scanner. I keep the negatives in sleeves just in case I change my
mind later.

Years ago, before reasonably priced scanners became available, I
experimented with a procedure using a digital camera mounted on a
Heiland slide copier to transfer slide images to a computer screen.
It worked after a fashion. Leica even sold a slide copier attachment
for the early Digiflex line. But as the price of scanners came
down,most photographers abandoned the idea. Given today's 10Mp DSLRs,
it probably deserves a second chance.

Larry Z