Subject: [Leica] B&W OR COLOUR?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed May 30 21:33:32 2007

LIKE WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Holy cow what an incredible collection of wonderful responses and
suggestions! Thank you every body.

Am I settled on colour or B&W? Nope!  :-) Confused? Oh a little, but after
reading and re-reading the posts I learned we don't all look at the same
things in a photograph. Nor relate to colours in similar fashion. Where some
thought in B&W the contrast was OK others felt it too harsh. Or in the case
of the colour, the subject was too confusing with the colour of the "million
dollar" tapestry behind. I also received samples of corrected versions..
very helpful indeed.

I put a 13X19 colour print in the living room and same size B&W in the
dining room. Then as I carried on making prints from the same assignment,
I'd break off, go look at the prints to see which I preferred. Damn what a
chore. :-)

Particularly after reading suggestions pouring in on screen with improved
picture versions. Wow what a learning experience that has been!

However, when I look at the improved version B&W as many suggested, cut
contrast, change levels and curves in an attempt to bring out more detail in
the clothing and facial skin, there isn't any question it made a great
improvement. Certainly to my one good eye.

 I learned a great deal about fiddling the level controls for a better
looking image. So in that sense you folks helped me improve or certainly
understand the manual levels technique better than I ever did. A big thanks
for that one.

I believe both images are fine when they aren't compared side by each. Both
received improvements from your suggestions, a couple I should've seen as I
was preparing the image for printing. Burning in as such was one I missed.
Bad move on my part missing that one.

They will not be used as we've seen them today, side by each. The producer
I'm working with about this doctor in the picture wanted to see how the
images would compare for insertion on the production tape. He sided with the
colour for obvious reasons, it's a colour TV program. But there are other
converted colour to B&W photos of scenes he's going to use for an "archival
look."

A background note:

The doctor in the image is 93 years and as spry and bright as one could be
even with all his life experiences and responsibilities way beyond what many
of us would want to cope with. Obviously he isn't practicing, but still very
involved with two medical schools in Victoria and Vancouver. The day of the
shoot everyone involved was up at 5 a.m., gathered in one location to catch
the 7am.hour & half ferry ride to the mainland, we started shooting about
10.30 and didn't stop until 3.30 in the afternoon! No breaks, it was steady
move from scene to scene. At the wrap the good doctor was in better shape
than I at 78! :-)

Once again many thanks to all for your wonderful and learned responses. This
is what the LUG family is; learning about photography and making better
shooters and printers out of all of us.

Regards to all,

ted